04 May, 2011

Too Far Off Track, or Morbid Fascinations

September 11, 2001 was one of the worst days in America's history.  I remember being at home, on 'vacation' and watching the television in shock. I was glued to the television.  When the news wasn't on, I was online. I was sickened and saddened and shocked, as was most of the world.

 I cried along with the rest of the country. I cried for those who died. I cried for those people who posted signs for their missing loved ones. I cried for the loss of a sense of security. I cried and cried.  I did not understand how people could kill other people who have done nothing to them.

 I just cried.

So, the news earlier this week about the death if Osama bin Laden was only bitter. My first thought was, where did they find him? Beyond that, it was just another senseless death.  It won't bring our soldiers back. It won't give those families the 10 years they have not been able to share with loved ones. I does not change anything.

This will not deter those who lack the skill, vocabulary, will, or imagination to do anything more than kill.

This will not assuage hatred.  This will not do anything.

Today, the President has decided that the pictures of bin Laden's dead body will be sealed.  He will not disrespect in death even this hatemonger.  There is nothing to be gained by those pictures being disseminated. 

The pictures would make his death a joke for some.

The pictures would be a war cry for some others.

Nothing about any of this is funny.

No comments: